Truck driving can be a very lucrative employment opportunity. Some truck drivers are paid by the mile and others are paid by the hour. According to Indeed, the average income a truck driver earns is $61,733 per year, however, this can vary depending on a wide variety of factors. Drivers with more experience, and those hauling hazardous and more difficult loads will get higher starting pay. In addition, due to industry demand and driver supply, Class A drivers will typically earn more than Class B drivers.
Here’s how the base pay breaks down:
- OTR – Over the road truck drivers are typically paid by the mile, which, depending on driving experience, can be anywhere from $0.25 to $0.45. If you are an owner-operator you also need to take insurance, truck maintenance and other expenses into consideration.
- Most OTR truck drivers drive 2,000-3,000 miles per week.
- Local – Some local drivers are paid by the mile, however, at Fundamental Labor Strategies, local truck drivers are paid by the hour ($20 to $32 an hour), and are able to get overtime after 8 hours daily. This allows local truck drivers to put more money in their pocket before reaching 40 hours. Drivers can work four or more long days instead of the typical five day work week.
In addition, there may be other things that contribute to a truck driver’s overall compensation:
- Referral bonus
- Flexibility in schedule
- Occupational Accident and Injury Insurance
- Anniversary gifts and an annual company picnic
- Benefits package – medical, dental, vision
While it is typically true that drivers paid by the mile make more money, drivers on the East Coast or in high congestion areas don’t make out very well with pay by the mile. If you were paid by the mile, you wouldn’t get paid to sit in traffic and wait at the loading dock, so for some areas it’s more lucrative to be paid hourly.
Interested in working for Fundamental Labor Strategies?
Starting CDL A driving job requirements:
- 1 year CDL A driving experience required
- Clean MVR
- 21 years of age
- 1 year current medical card