Safety Newsletter – April 2021
Springtime Driving Tips
You’ve heard the saying, April showers bring May flowers, right? Well April is here, so be ready for the showers! Below are some things to keep in mind while driving in the wet weather this spring.
- Check to make sure that your vehicle’s equipment (windshield wipers, headlights, etc.) are operational, and that there is a sufficient amount of tread on your tires to provide you with traction in the rain.
- Make sure to turn on your headlights when driving in the rain to increase visibility for you and others on the roadway, and don’t forget to use your windshield wipers.
- Slow down and maintain a safe distance between you and the cars around you.
- Watch out for, and avoid, standing water when possible to avoid hydroplaning. If you do start to hydroplane, avoid making sudden turns or slamming on your brakes.
Back Injury Prevention
Back injuries are one of the most common injuries that we see with our truck drivers. They can come about from different situations, but there are a few fundamental best practices to follow in order to help prevent them. Below are some tips on how to prevent a back injury while on the job.
- Plan your lift, and have a safe route in mind for when moving an object.
- Never lift more than you can easily handle, and ask for help when needed.
- Avoid twisting your body when lifting or carrying an object, and instead use your feet to change your direction.
- Squat down, keep your back straight, and lift from your legs when picking up objects.
- Use lift assist equipment whenever available to decrease the strain on your body and chances of injury